Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Wed Oct 15 2014

Words I actually spoke in a guitar lesson yesterday: “That Pythagoras was a hell of a guy.” Interesting to watch pennies drop when working with music theory in the form of fretboard knowledge.

Now, about today… how exactly did Wednesday turn into a 14-hour marathon? I originally thought I might be able to make it down to the blues jam at Ould Triangle tonight, but it looks like I won’t be making dinner until 9pm. That’s not so unusual on Wednesdays. But this week the last hole in my schedule big enough for a meal before that comes at about 1pm, which makes that whole evening meal thing a lot less optional. If I have a substantial afternoon meal, then it’s easier to get away with grabbing something on the fly in the evening. Never say never, but I’m thinking “unlikely” this week. We’ll see. I really do need to get out and play more, as entertaining as practice is (I’m weird that way). Igor got a note from Darrell’s Tavern about a blues night they are setting up for the weekend after New Years, wondering about Undercover Blues Band. Waiting to see what Bill’s schedule is going to be over the holidays. But I think Igor and I might do it no matter what, with Peterson or someone else on drums.

Going back to the very beginning of this incarnation of the Blog/Journal on September 3, this is the question kind of started it all. If UBB isn’t really UBB unless all 3 of us are present, which is the way it feels to me, then what about putting together a band that can maintain its identity even when subs are necessary. Bill tends to go out on tour pretty regularly – he just has 2 weeks downtime after the King Crimson tour before he heads out again with Peter Buck. Igor is in about 10 bands, which means that scheduling is always going to be tricky business. That more or less leaves me as the linchpin. This is not a role I’ve ever been comfortable with. It kind of feeds my narcissism, which may ironically be why I resist it. Hard to fight the big head, so one easy strategy is to avoid situations that support it.

On the other hand I had a possible band name, if I were to use the “Curt Golden and ______” formula, appear yesterday and I am letting it digest today to see if it still sounds like a good idea. One virtue it has is that it comes with a theme song that would make a great break tune.

Pondering. But right now I have a long day ahead of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment