Thursday, September 4, 2014

Thu Sep 04 2014

The weather demanded that I take advantage of it for a long walk this morning. Blues playlist on shuffle, as usual. The iPod was in a funny mood, or else I was, so I was hitting the skip button more often than I generally do. Pondering the points of seeing from last night. Thought about the “persona” aspect, including mode of dress and a lot of stuff along those lines that kind of makes me wince, but also feels as though it needs to be very clearly and deliberately addressed. Came home to a little lunch, and began this journal. Now to actual work.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Set up my practice space. Got the green bullet mic out and plugged into the “normal” channel of the amp, and set out the harps. Getting a level on the mic, the cat left the room in total disgust. The cat notwithstanding, I think I may not be able to work on my amplified harmonica very seriously except when I know that all of the neighbors are out. Even unamplified it is kind of loud. Also tried to fix the reed on the retuned E-minor harp, that I kind of bungled when I was working on it way back when. Made it worse. Wondering if I can find a bunch of used harps somewhere, that I can soak in alcohol to disinfect and then use to work on my harmonica retuning. Making mistakes and killing $30-40 instruments doesn’t seem like an option. Or maybe the harmonica fetish is a distraction. On to repertoire.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Reviewed my repertoire list. First looked at the current stuff and made some decisions about what I want to keep and what I’m ready to let go of, at least for the time being. Several that I dropped could always be reinstated, but I’m just not that excited by them now. Also dropped a couple that are very specific to Igor, which could be revived if he is involved. Three of the pieces I want to keep will need to be reworked, since the Underground Blues Band versions are highly idiosyncratic, and this band will need to go back to a more straight up arrangements, and find its own interpretations. Secondary list of active repertoire is five new pieces I have been working on recently that I just need to get up to speed. The third active list includes a couple that I have always enjoyed that never quite took off for the Undercover Blues Band, as well as a handful of pieces I’ve always wished to do at some point.

Then there are all the others, which you just never know. Some are definite possibilities, should they be needed. Others are probably a pipe dream, but what the hell, I like them. The 4 Active Lists are:

Current Repertoire:
  1. Boom Boom
  2. Born in Chicago
  3. Dust My Broom
  4. Going Down Slow
  5. Little Red Rooster
  6. The Same Thing
  7. Two Trains Running (Still A Fool)
  8. Yonder Wall
Current Repertoire, needs arrangement reworked:
  1. Built for Comfort
  2. Walkin’ Blues
  3. Wang Dang Doodle
In Process:
  1. Big Legs Tight Skirt
  2. Cat Squirrel
  3. Don’t Go No Further
  4. Get Out Of My Life Woman
  5. Help Me
Under Consideration:
  1. Evil
  2. I Smell Trouble
  3. I’m A King Bee
  4. It’s My Own Fault
  5. Keep It To Yourself
  6. Let Me Love You
  7. Louisiana Blues
  8. Mean Town Blues
  9. Sittin’ on Top of the World
  10. That’s All Right
  11. Too Young To Die
  12. You Can’t Lose What You Ain’t Never Had
If I actually had all of these together, that would be about 2½ sets (using the 4 minute rule). But first things first. Next step, actually practice this stuff… daily.

And then there is the currently inactive list… Potential:
  • Songs I have always wanted to work on but have never had the opportunity. Some may not actually suit me at all, but I like them.
  • Pieces that have crossed my field of awareness long enough for me to make a note about and do a little research. They have my attention and seem on some level to suit me, but have never been tested.
  • Songs that I have played, but let go of for the time being. Perhaps they are feeling a little tired and I’d prefer to let them rest until I can do them justice again. For others, their time has probably simply passed for me. Still they are out there and you never know when you might need to dig deep.
Time to switch gears for lessons.

Note to self: seriously, who to approach for this project?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

After the lesson, the first Seahawks game. What to do. Although it is very contrary to best practice, not recommended and I know it, I elect to run scales while watching the game. Kind of distracted work and don’t know how effective it really is, but it’s an hour of finger workout. Not proud of this, but what the hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment